Glenn Murcutt is the only Australian Architect that has won the Pritzker Prize (which is like the noble prize for Architects).
He runs a very particular practice because even though he has won several honours and awards* and is famous around the world, he doesn’t run a large firm (he is a sole practitioner) and he doesn’t do work outside Australia.
This means that if you want to see his masterpieces you have to come down under.
If you want to know more about Glenn Murcutt take a look at the following interview done by the ABC TV program “Talking Heads”:
*Prestigious awards include:
- the RAIA Gold Medal of the Royal Australian Institute of Architects in 1992
- the Alvar Aalto Medal in 1992
- Officer of the Order of Australia in 1996
- the Richard Neutra Award for Teaching in 1998
- the ‘Green Pin’ Award from the Royal Danish Academy of Architects in 1999
- the Thomas Jefferson Medal for Architecture in 2001
- the Pritzker Prize for Architecture in 2002
- the Kenneth F. Brown Asia Pacific Culture and Architecture Award in 2003
- the AIA Gold Medal Award in 2009.
ABC TV-Talking Heads: http://www.abc.net.au/tv/talkingheads/txt/s2256196.htm
Pritzker Prize: http://www.pritzkerprize.com/